Capturing the hearts of the students in our fast-paced, technology-driven environment is difficult. Keeping their attention is a far more difficult task. The most effective teaching is both an art and a science. Educators are successfully incorporating technology into the classroom. Using virtual whiteboards, instructors may transform regular lessons into engaging experiences. Children can have fun while learning at the same time. Tech experts have praised virtual whiteboards, or smartboards, as the next generation of technology. It has completely taken over the business and educational industries. They are quickly becoming the focus of everyone’s attention since they enable people to communicate and access information in ways never previously possible. The virtual whiteboard has had a tremendous impact on educators, particularly in industrialized countries such as the United States and the United Kingdom. Recently, virtual whiteboards have become such a prominent feature in the educational field that they have caused a dramatic transformation in how we interpret the teaching and learning processes. As a result, despite the fact that the technology has been there for almost two decades, its use has only increased significantly in recent years.
Teachers can access material from all around the world using a computer connected to the internet or a local network. They can conduct a fast search and locate a prior lesson they utilized. Suddenly, the instructor has access to an abundance of resources. A virtual whiteboard is a valuable tool in the classroom for both teachers and students. It encourages students to collaborate and interact more closely with the material. Students may be kept interested by sharing and using multimedia information in lectures. A virtual or interactive whiteboard is one in which digital material is displayed on a screen, allowing the students to interact with it directly, either by touch or with a pointer. All of this enables the student to participate in the training programs by writing on it, underlining, and highlighting portions of the text, as well as enlarging graphics, among many other things. All of these qualities imply that using interactive whiteboards in virtual classrooms offers several benefits and advantages that help both students and teachers. All students can actively engage in their own learning process as a result of their utilization. This encourages their participation in the topic being taught and promotes the development of skills and talents that will contribute to improved academic success.
The Common Features that Virtual Whiteboards Usually Have
A virtual whiteboard is a blank digital place where several individuals may write, share, as well as interact in real-time. The virtual whiteboard has become an important piece of technology in remote teams, allowing them to collaborate on activities like brainstorming, problem-solving, and writing and develop creative projects. A virtual whiteboard, like a physical whiteboard, is a fantastic tool for teaching, demonstrating ideas, making a list of critical information, structuring debate topics, carrying out activities or exercises, as well as making mind maps, and working together. The common features of virtual whiteboards are as follows.
- Screen Recording – This type of feature is best suited for institutions and platforms that provide training or education. Teachers and students may use virtual whiteboards with that technology to access the session at a later time to scribble down notes, review, or even watch it if they missed the lesson. Teachers are overloaded now that they must take notes and lesson plans and keep track of what is being taught. The virtual whiteboard can handle it for them so they may concentrate on the issue at hand.
- Media Content – The virtual whiteboard is designed to run a wide range of files and programs, and it even supports computer-based applications. The tool may be used to access the internet, watch videos, and deliver presentations, among many other things. This interactive whiteboard feature is important to classroom progress. In field medical studies, for instance, the interactive whiteboard allows the instructor to show a three-dimensional graphic that can be moved about and viewed from multiple perspectives for greater understanding. The teacher may also zoom in on various portions of the image, name them, as well as save the modified image.
- Multiple-finger Touch Recognition and Access – Smartboards are equipped with the technology to recognize a multi-touch function for shaping ideas effortlessly and without obstacles, making the class more interesting and engaging. It facilitates access since students are typically hesitant to use anything complicated. You may write with a stylus or with your finger. To erase, use your palm. That is all there is to it. For a more fluid experience, teachers may draw, drag, rotate, select, as well as magnify the display. Double-clicking the screen allows users to customize the color of the pen.
- Cloud-based Education – This allows students and professors to view the class lecture or notes from any device at any time and from any location. The procedure should be as simple as passing over a website link to download, view, and perhaps even edit the session.
- Saving and Printing – You can also store and print whiteboard marks to your papers using virtual whiteboard technology. For instance, utilizing whiteboard software allows you to preserve any markings or writings made on projected papers by the teacher or the students, including highlights and drawings. It is simple to distribute these annotations by emailing the file or printing a paper copy. This allows you to capture the activities of a presentation or lecture as well as distribute them to people in attendance as well as others who were unable to attend.
The Importance of Virtual Whiteboards in Online Classes
A virtual whiteboard is easy, adaptable, interactive, and inexpensive. It’s also quite engaging and visually appealing, making it an essential component for online training and collaboration. The virtual whiteboard is a technology that can be successfully used at any educational level; thus, no learning institution should disregard its usage. In the case of virtual classrooms, virtual whiteboards provide greater educational flexibility by allowing teachers to evaluate, develop, and execute functions to achieve a desired educational outcome. Students benefit from having a huge interactive surface that responds to an electronic pen or even a touch. This aids knowledge of the material since students grasp the information better by touching, sketching, or writing on the board. Further to that, virtual whiteboards are simple to operate. If any of your students have visual issues, they can benefit from the ability to increase the size of letters and images, as well as manipulate objects and symbols. If you have a student with hearing challenges in your classroom, don’t panic; virtual whiteboards allow you to use visual presentations or sign language at the same time.
Virtual whiteboards are a massive resource bank with proven performance. Virtual whiteboards provide extremely strong teaching aids as well as an endless amount of multimedia content. Students are more attentive in the classroom, their grasp of the topic improves, they learn better, and they retain more as a result of these character traits. In simple terms, this technological tool helps to attract students’ attention to a greater level, making it easier for students to follow along with the educators’ instructions. Its usage in virtual classrooms has been shown to be quite effective since it has evolved into a transparent instrument in the teaching-learning process.
Virtual whiteboards make it simple for teachers to arrange their classes. All teachers must be familiar with the kids they are teaching in order to anticipate problems and plan accordingly. A teacher using an interactive whiteboard may quickly develop as well as arrange the lesson in advance. Particular learning activities, such as naming elements of an image and matching words to their meanings, can be programmed by the teacher. This is where the advantages of interactive whiteboards in virtual classes come in very handy. Students can grasp and learn how to manage new tasks, and teachers will find it simple for students to successfully master new topics.
The Benefits of Virtual Whiteboards for Students
There are several advantages for students, ranging from problem-solving to remote learning.
1. Engage in Centralized Classes When Remote Learning
With the widespread adoption of remote learning, virtual whiteboards are becoming more popular, especially since some versions allow faculty members to share their displays with students while simultaneously participating in video chats as well as meetings. This implies that students are given as much time as possible to evaluate the offered content while still interacting with the teachers.
2. Presentations Are Capable of Being Recorded
In addition to centralized classes, one of the primary advantages of virtual whiteboards for students is the ability to record and replay presentations long after the class has ended. This enables students to study weak educational spots on their own time and receive a review bank directly from the source, assuring that they are obtaining proper knowledge.
3. Take Advantage of Gamification in the Classroom
One of the most fascinating advantages of virtual whiteboards for students is that studies have shown that they improve student engagement. Teachers may also use digital whiteboards to create engaging information by gamifying, which makes the process of learning more enjoyable as well as increases interest and motivation. Students may use virtual whiteboards to engage with the course materials. They become a part of the class and can sometimes even teach each other. Their knowledge of the material is demonstrated by touching, sketching, or writing on the board. Entire classes can participate in educational games. They also give instant feedback, allowing students and teachers to readily measure student progress.
4. Provide a Variety of Learning Styles
Whether a student prefers visual, audio, reading, writing, or kinesthetic learning, you can accommodate them with smart technology. Play sounds, call students to the front of the room to participate with the interactive whiteboard, assign writing assignments based on videos on the interactive display, or simply let them watch a movie. There is something for all learning types, such as active learners and blended learners. Virtual whiteboards combine many learning styles into a single experience. Students may learn by seeing, hearing, and interacting with the board through touch. This provides teachers with fresh and unique methods to teach the same topic information. Students learn and remember more as a result of this.
5. Integrated Technology and Flexibility in the Classroom
The integration of several different technologies to increase student learning is possible with virtual whiteboard technology. To enhance training, any instrument such as computers, microscopes, cameras, and video cameras may be added to the boards. As a result, the opportunities are nearly limitless. A virtual whiteboard may show a variety of types of media. Teachers have a wide range of resources at their disposal, including images, graphs, maps, drawings, and films. You may motivate your kids by creating unique classes.
The Benefits of Virtual Whiteboards for Teachers
It is not only the students who profit from virtual whiteboards. A virtual whiteboard is primarily a classroom tool for teachers, and it offers numerous significant benefits over a conventional whiteboard.
1. Education Tools at Fingertips and Annotate on The Go
Virtual whiteboards today are stocked with standard teaching tools like rulers, measuring tools, the periodic table of elements, and many more. Teachers may also use a virtual whiteboard to combine photos and annotate them immediately on the screen.
2. Display Data Accurately
Another useful characteristic of virtual whiteboards is that they correctly show data and activate presentations. Teachers may also use virtual whiteboards to swiftly create ideal angles, charts, and engaging presentations.
3. Fresh Whiteboard and Able to Interact Directly During Class
The problem of soiled whiteboards is no longer an issue. Virtual whiteboards allow you to easily erase writing as well as drawings without leaving ghostly remnants. Further to that, the virtual whiteboard allows the teachers to write directly on it, removing the need for teachers to fight with practically dried-out markers. Virtual whiteboards are spotless and require little maintenance. No chalk, markers, or other writing tools are required. Data is edited by highlighting, sketching, and writing using a special pen. As a result, there is no clutter. There is no cleaning. It really is that simple.
4. Connected to the Internet and Downloaded Teaching Resources
Virtual whiteboards are linked to the internet, providing access to a wealth of online tools and resources. Teachers can use videos, articles, photos, learning tools, and other resources to improve and support their courses. Students have an abundance of resources for study and learning as well. You will have access to a library of information since your virtual whiteboard can connect to the internet. Teachers can download whole lesson plans or presentations for their students to view or embed videos for them to watch.
5. Highlight Important Information from the Lesson
As the teacher progresses through a class, smart technologies may be utilized to highlight important facts. The teacher can outline the areas that will be addressed in class before the course begins. As each session begins, they may use the whiteboard to break down the major subjects, terminology, and crucial statistics for the students. In addition to text, graphics and videos can also be used. This will assist students not just in taking notes, but also in reviewing upcoming subjects you will address.
6. Engage Students in Group Problem Solving
When it comes to solving problems in group projects, students can cooperate better in the classroom when smartboard technology is used as the main focus of the lesson. As they work, digital technology connects them to the internet, allowing students to relate the lesson to the technology that they use every day. As a result of engaging and fun lessons, students are more alert in class. Comprehension grows stronger. Test results improved. Literacy rates increase. Students learn and recall information more effectively. Learning usually rises when students participate more in the classroom.